Sweet and savoury stuffing
- 16 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (8 cups)
- 1 Cup butter, divided
- 1 Cup California raisins
- 2 Cups hot water
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large McIntosh apple, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 Cup pecans, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9X13-inch shallow baking pan; set aside.
- Toss bread cubes with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Spread in baking pan and toast in oven at 350°F, rotating once, until browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Soak raisins in 2 cups hot water for 15 minutes, and drain.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, stir in apples and mushrooms; continue to cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Turn into large bowl, and combine with bread, pecans, raisins and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in egg and add broth to moisten, stirring until well combined.
- Transfer to prepared pan; cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Then, remove foil and continue to bake until golden brown on top and crisp around edges, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.